Angwin is a rural enclave located on Howell Mountain, between the Napa Valley on the west and Pope Valley on the east. Surrounded by forest and vineyards, Angwin is an unincorporated community and is home to the four-year Pacific Union College (PUC) Campus and Preparatory School, an 8-acre commercial area of businesses, along with the Angwin Volunteer Fire Department, the Angwin Airport (1 of 2 airports in Napa County and the only up-valley airport), plus various home-based businesses and wineries. Vineyards cover approximately one-third of the acreage in the Angwin area outside the residential and commercial areas. The community’s overall “sense of place” and character is largely derived from its agrarian and forested environment.
The all-volunteer Angwin Fire Safe Council (AFSC) formed in August 2015 with the assistance of the Napa Communities Firewise Foundation (NCFF). The Angwin boundary includes 4.8 square miles with 12,668 acres. Per the 2020 Census, Angwin has about 1,000 homes and over 3,179 permanent residents, plus about 900 college students not included in the Census, bringing the total population to approximately 4,079. The fire hazard severity in Angwin is considered “very high” (Napa County General Plan, 2009). Complicating the threat of fire, Angwin has a single narrow, winding road that traverses Howell Mountain from Napa Valley to Pope Valley.
Calendar of Events
The Angwin Community Wildfire Protection Plan (ACWPP) identifies community hazard reduction projects based on a professional community risk assessment sponsored by Napa Communities Firewise Foundation (NCFF) in 2015. Projects are listed in the ACWPP. Implementation of the identified projects has been based on Angwin Fire Safe Council (AFSC) submitting applications to various grant funding sources to address these projects for the community from 2016-2021.
- Angwin Fire Department: Support our local Angwin Volunteer Fire Department and check out their new website. Learn when and how to apply for burn permits, donate to help with their ongoing projects at the firehouse and explore more resources.
- Firefighters On Your Side provides multilingual fire safety information. The focus is on providing resources to traditionally underserved communities. Information is provided in Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Tagalog and English. Materials are free to download and use.
- Angwin Landscape Do’s and Don’ts
- Angwin Landscaping Tips & Tricks
- Defensible Space Landscaping
- Napa Community Animal Response Team
- Community Organizations Active in Disaster (COAD), Napa Valley